Communing With The Sacred In Everyday Living

Life is like a moving meditation that is always inviting us to commune with what is sacred.

Every moment is an opportunity to relax deeply and allow more space in our every day living. We are in a constant relationship with the breath and life reflects this back to us in everything we engage with.

A question that my guru used to ask that has helped me tremendously over the years is asking, "what is the most amount of contact for the least amount of tension?"  For example, it takes a certain amount of tension to type these words on my computer.  So, I stop and let a breath come in.  I do nothing and just notice, am I comfortable?  Then my attention is naturally led to feel where I am holding extra tension in my body.  My shoulders are raised up, I am leaning forward and my back is starting to hurt. These are all signals to my brain that there is more space available than my habituated way of being is registering in the moment.  When I relax the tension, I am moved to engage with more presence and feeling contact.  This allows energy to flow through me with more ease and less work.  While this sounds unbelievably simple, the affects it has on our lives is profound.

This practice can be done while you are washing the dishes, or when you are in the heat of feeling intense emotions. The breath is a powerful ally.  It's sole purpose is to nurture our restless hearts and remind us of our true nature.  How often do you stop in your life and embrace this beloved offering?  The opportunity to do it is always available.  That is how much we are loved by this unknowable source that is living us.

When I rock my baby girl to bed at night while singing her a lullaby, I let the breath show me where there is unnecessary tension as the sound comes through me.  Then it illuminates where I am holding in my arms and shoulders.  I can relax even more.  The communion between my body, mind and spirit allows me to sink even deeper into the preciousness and fullness of the moment.  And while this is just a more enjoyable way of living, the benefits my baby is receiving are tremendous.  The bodily/energetic transmission of relaxation is informing her nervous system and every cell in her body.  How we participate in life really matters, in every moment, and all it takes is becoming aware of your own breath, moment to moment.




Comments

Popular Posts